The Colored Lens is looking for short stories that shift perspectives of how we see the world. We are specifically seeking stories that cause the reader reflect, not just on the story, but on how it relates to their own world.
We publish all varieties of speculative fiction, from alternate history, to high fantasy, to nuts and bolts hard science fiction, to dark fantasy, so long as it meets the guidelines above. Whatever the genre, the focus should be used to comment on our world and society rather than exclusively to keep the reader turning pages.
A few things to keep in mind when submitting:
- Stories should have a plot. Although we want stories that comment on our world and society, stories should also have a hook, rising action, climax, and resolution, although the handling of those elements can be experimental.
- Flash fiction is great, but make sure it has a fully developed plot.
- Stories must have a speculative element. It can be slight, but must be present.
- Present tense will be a harder sell than traditional past tense. We have published stories in the present tense, and undoubtedly will continue to do so, but stories in the past tense tend to have a higher chance of acceptance.
- Sex, violence, and related themes are fine, but those elements should not be the main focus of the story.
Length & Format
We publish stories up to 10,000 words, although we prefer stories in the 500-5000 word range. We also publish novellas up to 20,000 words, serialized over multiple issues.
In your cover letter, please tell us the title, genre, and word count of your story. Also include a short (less than 100 words) biography. Please do not tell us about your story. We would rather find out by reading it. Paste your cover letter and optional bio before the story into the Body.
If you’re uncertain how to write a cover letter, Jed Hartman has an excellent article of what to include/not include at http://www.kith.org/journals/jed/2004/08/22/2205.html
Submission & Responses
Short stories should be in standard manuscript format, and submitted using our online submission system. Do not worry about double spacing or paragraph indentions, although double spacing between paragraphs is nice. This can be done by running a search/replace for ^P and replacing it with ^p^p.
We are accepting artwork within a speculative fiction element and that casts the world, either the real one or a fantastical one, in a different light than we see every day.
Artwork should be submitted in digital format. Artists may submit up to 3 pieces at once, but please wait for a response from us before sending more.
Artwork may be resized, but will not be cropped or otherwise altered without the artist’s permission. Please send us artwork that will still look good when resized or reformatted. Artwork may be submitted using our Graphic Art Submissions page .
Payment & Rights
We pay $20 per short story, article, or piece of artwork, and $10 for flash. For novellas, we pay $20 for the first 10,000 words, and $1 per 1000 words after that. Unless otherwise specified, purchases are for first world electronic and print rights, exclusive for 3 months, and non-exclusive reprint rights. Payments will be made upon publication.
Acceptance of a submission does not guarantee a publication date. Payments will be made via paypal upon publication. Other forms of payment can be arranged if necessary.